Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Johnny Flynn & Laura Marling @ The Bowery

Sad to miss ALL three Noah & the Whale shows this week, I was fortunate enough to snag a ticket to see Laura Marling's haunting solo performance, along with good friends Johnny Flynn and Mumford & Sons (half of who make up Miss Marling's band):

I've got to say I was pleasantly surprised by openers Mumford. Running with this crowd, I assumed they were talented but I was blown away by their 'if Beirut did folk music' approach, with more annunciation of course-- being British and all. The bar had been lifted, and we all anxiously awaited a record pole vault from Flynn & Marling.

The marvelous Johnny Flynn did just that, traversing over the high standard beam with grace. Johnny's master of all musical trades vitality filled the room to an overflowing brim-- helped by some burning desire from the ladies, I'm sure, Red Coat or not. Continuing on, Johnny's talent shined through an ironic Jeffery Lewis cover. 'Do you know of him?', he asked the crowd, to which his Bassist replied, 'No one knows of him...'

Laura Marling floated onto the stage like a delicate bird, dimming down the energy to a soft & steady buzz. Some speculated that maybe she should have performed before Flynn, but as I had to be in the office the next morning, I didn't mind the sullen lullabies. Laura, filled with sweet fervor, belted out lyrics such as 'the grey in this city is too much to bear' with a sort of apocalyptic romance. Closing my eyes, I was reminded of a young Sinead O'Conner. Only 18 years of life below her belt, one could be convinced that Marling has lived, been loved, and suffered loss decades upon decades over.

Take a looksy at the UK loveliness:









Blessed be the folk hearts of the Brits, yo.

No comments: